Open to : Australian and International applicants
Closing Date : 15 August 2008
Salary Range : $65 815 to $78 163 pa (Level B)
Status : Fixed-term for three years
Benefits available at QUT include 17% employer superannuation contributions, a generous study assistance scheme, salary packaging, relocation assistance (if applicable), extensive development and training programs and access to a range of state-of-the-art facilities.
Position Purpose and Organisational Relationships
This position involves the design of efficient and robust surveillance strategies for the Post Harvest Grains Industry using a variety of existing information sources under uncertainty. The application of existing methodologies in novel ways or development new methods will be made to synthesise biological, spatial and sampling information, enabling the development of strategies that improve the capacity for the detection of grains pests, or demonstrate freedom from pest infestation. To fulfill the duties of this position, National and international travel to liaise with team members and other relevant partners is be required.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be appointed within the School of Natural Resource Sciences at QUT and will be located at the QUT Gardens Point Campus. The appointee will conduct research on behalf of the project team and report to the Project Leader, Dr. Grant Hamilton. This project is funded by the Cooperative Research Centre for National Plant Biosecurity.
* Planning and conducting research under the supervision of the project leaders. This includes collaboration with other researchers and stakeholders as required. Specific research tasks include:
* Assessing data sources and collating appropriate data as required
* Reviewing the current surveillance strategies used within the Post Harvest Grains Industry
* Developing novel methods for incorporating multiple information sources to increase the power of surveillance systems to detect insect pests
* Preparation and publication of research outcomes in relevant refereed journals and presentation of research outcomes at seminars and conferences as directed by the project leader
* Liaising with collaborating partners on the conduct of the research project and assisting with associated administrative matters
* Providing regular written and verbal reports as directed by the project leader and undertaking associated administrative functions
* Assisting in the supervision of research and honours students in project-related areas
* As necessary, assisting in gaining further project-related research funding
* Maintaining complete and accurate research records
* Maintaining research confidentiality and conforming to all requirements for the protection of intellectual property
* Undertaking other appropriate research-related duties as directed by the project team leaders
* Accountable for complying with health and safety policies, procedures, hazard reporting and safe work practices
* Actively participating in research collaborations with other relevant researchers and research partners, under the supervision of project leaders
* Completion of a PhD in statistics with an appropriate biological application, or a PhD in another relevant discipline such as agricultural science or ecology with a strong record of quantitative research.
* Capacity to analyse spatial data
* Experience in liaising with stakeholders and effectively communicating complex scientific ideas.
* Demonstrated well developed written communication skills with a proven track record of publication of scientific results in peer reviewed journals and other research publications.
* Demonstrated well developed oral communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
* Knowledge of workplace health and safety principles which will enable the appointee to implement these principles at an appropriate level.
* Experience in Bayesian statistical analysis.
* Experience in the design of surveillance systems.
* Experience in insect invasion biology.
* Experience in agricultural systems, particularly the grains industry
Information for applicants
Applicants are required to notify the University of any immigration restrictions that may preclude them from fulfilling the terms of any contract of employment offered at QUT.
HOW TO APPLY
* Application cover sheet (http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/jobs/docs/ApplicationCoverSheet.dot)
* Applicants are encouraged to systematically address the selection criteria
* Your current resume Ã¢â‚¬â€œ including academic qualifications and the names and contact details of professional referees and the period of notice you would need to give your current employer if offered the position
* Applicants should include copies of teaching evaluations (if applicable) and list up to three of their best publications.
Forward your application to email@example.com quoting vacancy ref no. 28305 by 15 August 2008 .
Prior to submitting your application please review information regarding immigration requirements, workplace health and safety, equal employment opportunity, non-smoking policy and relocation available at http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/jobs/information.jsp .
After the closing date, you can check the status (http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/jobs/status) of the recruitment process. QUT is an equal opportunity employer and employer of choice for women.
Further Information : http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/jobs/pds/28305.jsp